1. In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion and garlic, and saut?? until golden, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder or cayenne, and saut?? for 2 minutes longer.
3. Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
4. Using an immersion or regular blender or a food processor, pur??e half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky.
5. Reheat soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Serve soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted lightly with chili powder if desired.
Saute 2/3rds of the onion in the veggie oil. Add curry and stir until really aromatic. Add shrimp and saute for a min or 2. Add snow peas and tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. When the shrimp are mostly cooked, pour in coconut milk, salt , basil and lime juice and bring it to a simmer.