This is a walkthrough of Final Fantasy XII (FF12). As with any walkthrough, this document contains spoilers! It was developed for FFXII English
Language Version for Playstation. Some things may not work on other platforms or alternate language versions. While this walkthrough is functionally
complete (you can beat the game using it), I intend to add some tools to help you learn the game system more easily and explain the nuances of each
and every item. Eventually this may be the most complete walkthrough of FF12 on the net. You may
to make requests/corrections.
As I said above, all walkthroughs contain spoilers. What I've tried to do here is set this site up so that you can get the information you need
without having to read the whole document. Please see the points below for things you'll want to know about that DON'T involve spoilers. I
recommend reading them before even starting the game. Then play each section first, saving at every possible point. When you finish a section, go
back to the walkthrough and see if there is anything you missed. I'll include various hints, tips, tricks and cheats I may have noticed along the
way. I've broken the game up into various chapters (usually denoted by a change in scenary or unusually long/dense cut scene.
Points to Remember
(IE: Things I wish someone had told me starting out!)
If you are ready to start, please click on "Chapters 01-10" on your left-hand navigation menu!
- Early on, you'll recieve a "Clan Primer." The last option under the Clan Primer is "Traveler's Tips." Be sure to
refer to this often, as it contians valuable information you'll probably miss otherwise.
- Like many FF games, this one has more than just "XP." You can also get License points, which allow you to use new
weapons, armor, technicks, etc. Don't blow your license points on weapons/armor (for that matter, don't blow your gil on
them, either). Go for specific spells/technicks that are most useful.
- Attack this game from the standpoint that you DO want to beat it completely. If you decide not to at some point, you
can always stop doing the tough stuff. Otherwse, you may miss out on something you really need.
- Any time you see an item in a dashed box, you can hover the mouse over it for more information about that item. Hover
the mouse over the box in this line for for a second or two to see an example of how it works.
- The game will sometimes include a VERY powerful monster in among a lot of not-so-hard ones. DON'T ATTACK THEM UNTIL
YOU'RE READY!!! Usually, these will be green, but if you steal from them, or set off a trap that injurs them, they will
begin to attack you.
- Speaking of traps... Use the technique libra so you can see traps. Use float to keep from hitting them (you'll
float over the top of them).
- Throughout the land of Ivalice, you'll encounter enemies that LOOK like other enemies, but are a bit harder. After a
certain point in the game, some of these monsters will drop trophies. You may want to wait to fight these enemies until
you have visited the Phon coast and talked to the appropriate people. After fighting particularly hard (but not boss)
foes, check your Bestiary. If you run across "Rare Game" and you kill it, be sure to check and see if the phrase "This
strain, as yet unrecorded in the Camp annals..." appears in there. If so, you can rest assured.
- Don't open every chest! There is a very special item you CANNOT GET if you open certain chests. There are four sets
in particular you do NOT want to open: The one outside Old Dalan's house, anything inside Dalmasca castle's palace celler,
anything in the confiscatory of Nalbina Fortress, anything along the phon coast (there are a BUNCH here).
- Most enemies that have a "restore" power will only use it once. Don't flee just because your enemy restores and you
think you're hosed.
- Touching a Save Crystal will reset your chain-level gague. Walking past most of them without touching it will not.