At the beginning of Disc 1, and/or at the beginning of Disc 3 you can race a young hippo named Hippaul. In alexandria, talk to Hippolady on the street just left
of the main gate leading outside. As you race Hippaul, you'll get rewards as he levels up. As far as I can tell, he only levels up if YOU win. I guess he's
really big on negative reinforcement. Weird. Anyway, if you are doing this, though, be sure you have card space available (you get cards as rewards and you can
only carry 99 of them). You can check his level by talking to him. As you race him, sometimes his levels go up by 5, and sometimes less. Here are his levels
after each time I raced him (he starts at 1): 5, 10, 15, 16, 20, 25, 30, 31, 32, 35, 36, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 (about 15 minutes), 51, 52,
53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 (8 more minutes), 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 (another 8 minutes), 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 (another 8
minutes). Overall time: approximately 45 minutes.
Here are some pointers to help you out on this mini-game.
- Try to do this in one sitting but take breaks to rest your hands if they get numb. The higher his level, the faster you have to do it.
- Put the controler on a level surface, such as the ground, and use both hands. It's much easier than one-handed.
- Use different fingers on each hand. I use the pointer of my right hand and the middle finger of my left. When I try to use the same finger on each hand,
they start mashing at the same time. Some kinda weird wiring in the brain, I guess.
- Don't watch the screen. I don't know why, but watching the screen messes up my rhythm
- Turn off the sound, or play other faster-paced music.
- When it gets REALLY tough (after level 70) turn off your analog controler and use the right stick. Put it between to fingers and flick your hand (not
Wrist ) back and forth
Here are the rewards you'll get and the required level:
||Number of races
||Carrion Worm Card
|| Ribbon Card
||Nova Dragon Card
|| Athlete Queen
Technically you can continue to race him, and he continues to get faster. He'll eventually get up to level 100, but he doesn't seem to get faster after that. To
be clear, I totally cheated to get Vivi to run that fast. I used a RaspberPi Zero to build a rediculously fast keyboard that pressed a and z over and over again.
Since I'm playing the game on OpenEmu, those keys are mapped to square and circle. Feel free to hit the contact page at the top if you'd like the code. If you can
get him to level 100 without any extra help, you have my admiration. But since I've been dealing with bad carpal tunnel for the last 20 years, I opted to cheat just